Rightly or wrongly we made the decision when Faith started school to send her to mainstream with support. She is now Seven in a couple of months and I do wonder if I made the right decision.
The School has been amazing and very supportive of Faith and her one to one support is outstanding, but I do feel the school day is too much for her in some respects. She appears to demonstrate more aggressive behaviour on a school week than what we are seeing on a half term week. I’m not sure if this is due to her being more tired, worried about her school work, frustrated with the school environment or a mixture of everything. On a recent cognitive assessment that was carried out by a community psychologist it has shown that Faith is behind in all areas coming out at a 4-5 year old. I hate that I might have put the extra pressure on her with her school life, by not sending her to a special unit.
When we initially made the decision, it was based on her being such a strong character enjoying to learn and she had already made lovely friends who would go up to school with her if she went to the mainstream school. Faith is still a very strong character and loves writing and having books read to her, but she does become very agitated when she gets things wrong and I have noticed when her friends come up and they are playing school they are always correcting her with her spellings or letter formation.
Her peer group has always accepted Faith, as being Faith, ignoring her little moments (as they refer to her seizures as) and her two very best friends constantly look out for her making sure an adult is aware when she does have one. This is so endearing to witness.
I have asked school for a meeting with the educational psychologist to discuss our options. The appropriate units around here are very small in numbers, so we need advice as to what would be the best plan for Faith as I am aware she will go up to Juniors this year and the work and expectations are just going to get harder.
I realise it will be a big loss for Faith to leave her friends, I have thought of asking of the possibility of her going to a unit on a day release sort of principle, until hopefully she felt comfortable enough to move there.
Talking over all this with the community Psychologist we agreed it was best to always keep an open mind with Faith as she has constantly blown me away with her strength and determination.